Monday, September 19, 2011

The Emmys 2011: Reactions and Rants

The next Mad Men post is coming on Tuesday as scheduled, don't worry. I took a week off given how busy last week's (and the preceding weekend's) schedule was. But hey, the Emmys were last night, purportedly honoring the best in television. Hitfix.com has a helpful list of winners and nominees from each category. Now, I didn't actually watch the Emmys, because, even as a fan of television, I know award shows are bloated, sad popularity contests afraid to move past lame, tame jokes. Heck, this year Alec Baldwin's joke criticizing Rupert Murdoch was cut and hilariously hostile Ricky Gervais was explicitly told to tone it down for the telecast. So no, I watched Sunday Night Football, and I don't regret it. Now THAT had a narrative.

So you should probably know this from the start: the Emmys, like most institutions, struggle mightily with inertia. If you've won before, you'll probably win again. If you've never won before, it's REALLY difficult to start now. Also, the more niche your show/performance, the more likely you are to win. And the guiding end-all rule for how to win an Emmy Award? Be famous for movies. Television has a fun inferiority complex about movie actors, and so naturally when everyone gets together to salute the best in television... they pick a bunch of movie actors. Not that they're not always deserving, but... well, let me just say this.

The Wire never won a single Emmy. Not one. With that, let's get cracking on the good and bad from this year's  winners.



MOVIES AND MINI-SERIES

I understand they left this to the end again. Not smart. Ah well, I really only had one horse in this race, and that was Downton Abbey. If you have not seen this yet: please, do yourself a favor and watch it. You can find it on Netflix Instant Streaming or just get the DVDs. It's a beautiful show, well written and delightfully acted. And even though, like the Emmys, you may only recognize Dame Maggie Smith in the cast, trust me when I tell you that the cast should have swept the acting categories. Based on what I've heard about Mildred Pierce and The Kennedys, Downton Abbey was clearly the best choice available, and it deserved its win, as did the Dame. Shame the other actors weren't recognized, but please note that all the winners? Movie stars.

COMEDY


First off. Jim Parsons stole the lead away from Johnny Galecki ages ago, and it's some justice that he's now actually credited in that role. He's hilarious week in and week out with a character that could easily become tired and annoying, venturing into dangerous Urkel territory. But, let's be honest, it is a crime that Steve Carrell never won an Emmy for his iconic portrayal of bumbling but well-meaning Michael Scott on The Office. And now he's gone, and he'll never win that Lead Actor Emmy. It's a crime.


I'm actually ok with Melissa McCarthy beating out Amy Poehler for Lead Actress. I haven't seen much of Mike and Molly, and I'm waiting for Bridesmaids to come out so I can Redbox it (damn you, Netflix price hikes!), but I've always liked McCarthy, and I can't begrudge her a win here.


Ok, confession time. Modern Family is a good show. It's also a safe show. I know, I know. How could I say this about a television show with an interracial odd-aged couple and a gay couple with an adopted Vietnamese baby? Well, times have changed, and to be fair that is somewhat to this show's credit that everything here is, well, par for the course. When I say that Modern Family is a safe show, I mean that its scripts generally stick to standard sitcom conventions, especially in the second season. Julie Bowen is very funny on the show when she's often given little to do but be shrill and react to the often hilarious but always goofy mishaps of her husband played by the charming Ty Burrell (whose acceptance speech was apparently marvelous). The show doesn't really reach outside of its comfort zone like Community, and it's not as creatively even as Parks and Recreation was last season. Nor did it really capture comedy at its most heartstring-tugging like The Office did last year. It plays to families, it's become almost lazily comfortable in its plotting, and it is therefore safe. Congratulations, Steve Levitan, et al on your win. You've certainly made a great show; I just don't know if it's the best comedy on the air.


DRAMA


I know I haven't commented on the directing wins in either of the other two categories, but it has to be said here: Martin Scorsese was always going to win that one, right? The director of Goodfellas and Taxi Driver deigns to mingle with the small screen thespians, and it's automatic award. Not saying he didn't deserve it. The pilot of Boardwalk Empire was gorgeously directed, but then, the moment he signed his name onto the project someone should have just handed him a statuette.


With that out of the way, can we all allow our jaws to collectively drop at how close "The Suitcase" - the best episode of television last year as far as I'm concerned - came to being shut out of the awards entirely? Mad Men took the win for Best Drama, and it deserved it, but I mourn Jon Hamm and Elisabeth Moss's losses in the acting categories, as well as Matthew Weiner's loss in the writing category.


However, Kyle Chandler's win for Lead Actor along with Jason Katim's script win reminded me how much I need to soldier through Season 2 of Friday Night Lights to get to the good stuff - the VERY good stuff if critics are to be believed - in seasons to come. The show wrapped up its implausible five season run this year, and it's all available on Netflix Instant Streaming. Fantastic first season, stellar cast. Kyle Chandler IS Coach. Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.


Speaking of not losing, a final kudos to both Peter Dinklage and Margo Martindale, two character actors with long IMDB lists that completely deserved their wins tonight. Dinklage won for the role he was born to play as Tyrion Lannister in HBO's amazing Game of Thrones adaptation, which rightfully won the award for main title sequence last week. Dinklage should have taken home the trophy just for slapping that brat Joffrey.


Looking back, I don't suppose the votes were that egregiously poor. I've completely skipped reality series and variety shows because, frankly, The Amazing Race and The Daily Show win every year, and at least one of those two honestly deserves it. I'm a little disappointed in a few votes (sorry, Michael Scott) but elated by others (Peter Dinklage!) so it's actually a fairly even trade from the Emmy voters.

Now it's time for the Fall Season to start in full, so we can start the process all over again!

2 comments:

  1. I really need to see "Game of Thrones." I read the book, so now it's time to see it. I also need to watch "Mad Men" and "The Wire." God, I'm so behind in my television.

    However, yay for "Downton Abbey"! And season 2 started in the UK last night, so it can't be too far behind getting here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. January, I think. Also, this time it's supposed to run unedited, unlike last time on PBS. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete